JSS Software:Diecast Forum

You found the best diecast forum on the internet, and it is best viewed with IE 8 or greater.

Visit Automodello.

The PhillyMint

Shambles Models

ACME Trading Company.

Diecasm

Visit Judee Collectibiles.

Legal Disclaimer:

You must be 18 years old to post on our boards as per our registration requirement. All data posted on this site must be "Original and non defamatory". JSS is not responsible for the accuracy of any information which gets posted to our forums. Please view our Forum Guidelines before posting.

Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales.
Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales.
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 JSS Forums
 1:24th Die Cast Forum
 What automobile did you parents own
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Myron

USA

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  10:03:38  Show Profile
that really rang your bell?

Pop had a smorgasbord of crap, funny as a young kid I knew they were all crap. Hey he bought what he could afford and that was that. There are a few cars I remember that stand out from the others just because of their memories.

The first would be a 1953 Pontiac Chieftain it looks exactly like the one on this link. I was in school and he showed up at recess with the car, he was so proud of it and was beaming from ear to ear, I never forgot that. He came to show me...

Next up would be his 1958 Ford 9 Passenger wagon, this one I truly hated, I didn't want to be caught dead in it. We could have used it as a crop duster; it burnt that much oil but Pop loved it and was very proud of it too.

My favorite has to be the 1960 Dodge Matador this one was special, Pop hated this car, I got a kick out of watching all the drama surrounding it plus it was one I drove from time to time. What a car, push button and all. There are a million stories that go along with this one all of which would have you laughing your ass off. I thought about writing a book about the Matador and my pop but never got around to it.

Pop had more over the years but by then he had smartened up and of course had more money too which allowed him to purchase better cars. I was always the black sheep of the family, the rebel, or as the neighbors referred to me as "The Kid". I was the kid in the neighborhood who made the noise, drove the cars with no hoods, had the loud go-carts and motorcycles. And let's not forget my friend Billy and all our junkyard pieces that we brought back to life which we used to terrorize the neighborhood, those were the days...

Off to war I went and when I came home I continued on with my love affair for the automobile and enjoyed them all very much. But the three automobiles mentioned above will forever be etched into the files in my brain and a time in my life that I will remember and cherish forever.

Edited by - Myron on 02/20/2018 10:06:10

mrod

USA

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  12:11:57  Show Profile
1953 Oldsmobile Super 88. Chances are good it's still driving around Santiago, Cuba too.
Go to Top of Page

kosh2258

USA

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  12:23:28  Show Profile
For me: '61 Dodge Dart wagon. I like it because I could play around in the back end, nap, etc. The other one was a '69 Olds Cutlass Vista Cruiser. That was a truly nice car. Lots of room to haul stuff or people. It had get too because it was a 400 with 455 heads and 4bbl. I wish I still had that one.
Go to Top of Page

Mark S

USA

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  13:18:37  Show Profile
1957 Chrysler New Yorker Sport Coupe and 1965 Cadillac Coupe deVille. The rest were not as interesting.
Go to Top of Page

jimmcdonald

USA

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  13:27:25  Show Profile
Dad bought “pre-owned” Cadillacs. Between 1952 and 1984, when he passed, there were 5 different cars. First was a 49, Last was a 74. I ended up with the 74, beautiful car. Whole family fit without a problem. Great memories, wish I still had it.
Go to Top of Page

LouBeau

USA

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  13:51:22  Show Profile
My Mother had a 57 Ford Fairlane. The thing I remember about this car was in the winter the doors would freeze and once you opened them they wouldn't shut. She would give me a ride to school and I'd have to hold the door shut while we were driving. She got rid of that car and got a 64 Ford Galaxie. It was yellow and black with a beautiful black interior. She had that car up into the eighties. Everything after that was not very memorable. Just transportation.
Go to Top of Page

Billy Collins

USA

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  14:38:21  Show Profile
Boy...some great cars have been mentioned.

I've also mentioned a couple of times in the past what my 'first' ...and favorite... car memory was.
My Dad's '57 Pontiac Starchief convertible / triple black. A real stunner.
Go to Top of Page

Steve K

USA

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  14:47:29  Show Profile
I came home from the hospital in a '41 Studebaker in '46. The first car I remember was a black '49 Chevy Deluxe Fleetline, then a '51 Ford Custom minty white sedan,next a tu tone green '55 Bel Air sedan. The car I learned to drive on was the next one, and my choice - '62 light aqua Mercury Meteor with the little but mighty 221 V8. Had sooo much fun with that car (if Dad only knew). Dad sent me and my sister out for her to test drive his two choices, a six cylinder, light aqua '62 Impala 2 door hardtop and the Meteor. I talked her into convincing him the Merc was our choice. After that, the last car before I left home to lead my own life, was my favorite. A light green poly '67 Plymouth Fury III 4 door hardtop with the standard 318, my parents' first air conditioned car. Road like a dream. Sadly, both were killed in their next and last car, a'74 Impala sedan.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Nist

USA

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  18:53:39  Show Profile
Really, none of them. The closest would be the 1956 Ford 2 door sedan. It had the 312 V8 and ran real good for the time.
Go to Top of Page

Mark S

USA

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  18:56:50  Show Profile
Steve. So sorry to hear that story about your parents.
Go to Top of Page

Evan M

USA

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  18:59:13  Show Profile
The one that rang my bell was a 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Sedan with the power pack option, they got it about the time I got my first drivers permit, I loved it and it would haul ass.
Go to Top of Page

Rich

USA

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  20:13:17  Show Profile
My favorite car that my Father owned was his first car. A used 1940 Buick convertible. Next was a 1956 Dodge Custom Royale the eventually became my first car. My parents only owned a total of 7 cars over their lifetime.
Go to Top of Page

JCarnutz

USA

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  23:18:23  Show Profile
My Dad had a bunch of cars that I recall, some weren't very exciting, but a couple were memorable. The 2nd car I remember as a child was his '57 Buick Special 4dr Sedan, it was a beautiful solid green, I loved that car. Dad drove that car for years, it was a great car. He sold it because my mother struggled trying to drive it. I don't remember all the details, but all I knew it was replaced by a '64 Star Chief in 1967. Dad never believed in buying a brand new car, he preferred ones that were a couple of years old "after the bugs got worked out" he would say. My 2nd favorite car was his '69 Bonneville that he bought in late '71. That was an incredible car and I have so many stories about that car. It withstood three teenage drivers and all that they could put it through. When dad sold it, it had just about 400,000 miles on the original engine and trans. The car was still running, but had no floorboards left, and the frame was rusting through. Driving it had become hazardous. Dad preferred Buicks or Pontiacs, and he did have a couple of Oldsmobiles, but these two were the best.
Go to Top of Page

Gene

USA

Posted - 02/21/2018 :  07:07:22  Show Profile
Mine would be a red '59 Catalina, man that thing sparkled in the sun when she was clean. An absolutely beautiful car. After that it was the burgundy '65 Bonneville. Another beauty and that thing was huge.

Edited by - Gene on 02/21/2018 07:08:56
Go to Top of Page

Moe

USA

Posted - 02/21/2018 :  09:15:08  Show Profile
My dad was a car guy... just loved new cars. From 1957 to 1969...'57 Coupe DeVille, (pink/gray), '59 Olds 88 convert, '61 Electra 225 convert, '62 Olds Starfire convert, 63 Corvair Monza convert, '64 Riviera, '65 Continental, '67 T-Bird, '68 T-Bird, '69 Continental. There were others, (mom's cars). Someday I will share the Riviera story.
Go to Top of Page

tcam

USA

Posted - 02/21/2018 :  19:35:22  Show Profile
Yhe one that really stands out in my memory is the 1948 Chrysler New Yorker 4dr Sedan with the Highlander plaid interior to this day I can still see that car especially the interior!
Go to Top of Page

cuda70

USA

Posted - 02/22/2018 :  14:50:52  Show Profile
My Parents had a bunch of cars but the 2 that stand out was my Dads 1960 Chrysler 300 convertible (with a 4 speed) and my Moms 1960 Chrysler New Yorker station wagon
Go to Top of Page

abaucom21

Canada

Posted - 02/22/2018 :  16:16:55  Show Profile
First memory of a car was Moms early 1950s Chrysler something. We stopped at a light, a cycle ran the light, got hit, his body hit our auto in the windshield. He died, our auto was totaled.

Went with Dad to buy a new car, 1955 Oldsmobile, I was age 4. Remember like it was yesterday all the new Olds. Saw a 1955 Olds '98' Holiday 2-door. Dad left the dealership and I was yelling I want the Turquoise car. Dad turned around, bought the 1955 '98' Holiday 2-door. I was not satisfied, I had seen a matching color 1955 Stairfire conv. I screamed I wanted a conv., Dad bought the matching color conv. for Mom a few weeks later.

I grew up in the seat of convertible's. 1955 Olds Starfire, 1957 pink T-Bird,1960 T-Bird conv.,1960 white Chevy conv. Somehow I lived to tell the story without seatbelts.

Told this story before but will repeat best conv. story from my childhood. Early, 1960s, San Francisco, mothers friend home sliding down the hill. Rush to save the designer dresses. Back seat of Moms convertible packed high with dresses. Me, the young child lay spray eagle over the cloths in the back seat. To this day I will remember crossing the Golden Gate Bridge, looking up at the stars. It was a magical moment and confirmed my life passion for convertibles.

Now have a 1966 T-Bird conv. Going to auto shows OK. Driving at night with stars above, magical.

Go to Top of Page

Myron

USA

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  08:47:24  Show Profile
Good memories Al, always love reading your life stories.
Go to Top of Page

Automodello

USA

Posted - 02/24/2018 :  18:12:02  Show Profile
My parents had Rambler Classics, 62 and 64, and still with this handicap grew up loving cars. My mom broke away with a 69 Chevelle and then my father got a 99 Saab EMS which was the worst car he ever owned. He sued the dealer - long before lemon laws - and settled for a 76 Plymouth Volare Wagon.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales. © 2000-18 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000