JSS Software:Diecast Forum

“A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.”

-William Shakespeare

Visit Automodello.

The PhillyMint

Diecasm

Legal Disclaimer:

You must be 18 years old to post on our boards as per our registration requirement. All data posted on this site must be "Original and non defamatory". JSS is not responsible for the accuracy of any information which gets posted to our forums. Please view our Forum Guidelines before posting.

Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales.
Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales.
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 JSS Forums
 Corner Bar
 Our life comes down to a dumpster of junk.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Myron

USA

Posted - 07/24/2020 :  08:26:59  Show Profile
Our neighbor Mr. Buck recently passed away. To be clear he lived a full life; he was in his upper nineties when he passed. I enjoyed his company; when he saw me outside he enjoyed sitting on the swing with me and we shared our stories. Our little dog, Maddy, enjoyed him as much as he enjoyed her. I was sad to see his children come home from their far away states to clean out their parents home. One big dumpster was placed in the front yard and all the belongings of their family home went into that dumpster. All the stories are now gone, the family home is no more. I get it; someday it will be me too. And as I mentioned above our lives come down to a dumpster of junk as our kids view it. But to us or at least me it is the story of our lives.

I will miss my old friend he told me his story sitting on the red swing , rest in peace buddy!

Frank Kocour

USA

Posted - 07/24/2020 :  10:04:22  Show Profile
So sad, but so true. I once had a friend like that in an apartment where I lived for about 5 years. It was a two story and Pierce, who was in his early 90's, climbed those stairs several times a day. He loved to bet on the dogs and there was a table with his name on it at the greyhound park. We became friends one day when I was drinking a Manhattan on the balcony. He asked me what it was, I told him and he asked me to make one for him. I did and we pulled up two lawn chairs and sipped our Manhattans together looking at the park-like landscape below us. When he asked me for another one I made it against my better judgement (didn't want to be responsible for killing the guy). Didn't even phase him.

One day he told me that his eyesight was failing, that he could barely see the TV in his living room. I thought maybe he didn't know how to adjust the brightness and I told him I would do it. The problem wasn't the adjustment. Pierce smoked big, smelly cigars inside his apartment. I loved the smell of them outside, but once inside the abnoxious odor hit me like a wall of stink. He was an original tenant some thirty + years ealier. The place had never been painted and it still had the original orange shag carpeting.

Pierce had never cleaned the TV Screen. It was so loaded with cigar tar that I could scrape it off with my fingernail. A few passes with Windex and Pierce's eyesight was restored, LOL.

One day he told me that he was tired of taking his pills (he took a lot of them) and that he was going to stop taking them. I was not to tell his kids (all grown, of course). Once he did so he told me he felt like a million bucks. He lived pill less another year or so and we enjoyed our Manhattans together almost nightly.

When he died his kids came over to my place and told me that I could have whatever I wanted of his. I chose a portable stereo radio that was probably the first of it's kind. It had great sound and I played it, remembering him for almost 18 years, until it finally joined Pierce in stereo heaven.
Go to Top of Page

Frank Kocour

USA

Posted - 07/24/2020 :  10:04:22  Show Profile
So sad, but so true. I once had a friend like that in an apartment where I lived for about 5 years. It was a two story and Pierce, who was in his early 90's, climbed those stairs several times a day. He loved to bet on the dogs and there was a table with his name on it at the greyhound park. We became friends one day when I was drinking a Manhattan on the balcony. He asked me what it was, I told him and he asked me to make one for him. I did and we pulled up two lawn chairs and sipped our Manhattans together looking at the park-like landscape below us. When he asked me for another one I made it against my better judgement (didn't want to be responsible for killing the guy). Didn't even phase him.

One day he told me that his eyesight was failing, that he could barely see the TV in his living room. I thought maybe he didn't know how to adjust the brightness and I told him I would do it. The problem wasn't the adjustment. Pierce smoked big, smelly cigars inside his apartment. I loved the smell of them outside, but once inside the abnoxious odor hit me like a wall of stink. He was an original tenant some thirty + years ealier. The place had never been painted and it still had the original orange shag carpeting.

Pierce had never cleaned the TV Screen. It was so loaded with cigar tar that I could scrape it off with my fingernail. A few passes with Windex and Pierce's eyesight was restored, LOL.

One day he told me that he was tired of taking his pills (he took a lot of them) and that he was going to stop taking them. I was not to tell his kids (all grown, of course). Once he did so he told me he felt like a million bucks. He lived pill less another year or so and we enjoyed our Manhattans together almost nightly.

When he died his kids came over to my place and told me that I could have whatever I wanted of his. I chose a portable stereo radio that was probably the first of it's kind. It had great sound and I played it, remembering him for almost 18 years, until it finally joined Pierce in stereo heaven.
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 07/24/2020 :  16:47:33  Show Profile
Sad that your friends have passed on, Myron and Frank.
We tend to collect things we like, along the way of life, that don't all have the same value to others. Awful that sometimes we have to watch those things boil down like that.

The house where I live now after I retired is 2 doors away from where I grew up. I saw the same thing happen here 40 years ago, after the older couple who had the house built passed away and their son and daughter came back to divide up their parents' estates. Unfortunately, those two couldn't agree with each other very much, and the wills were not specific about how things should be divided. So into the dumpster it went, after the yard sale.
My parents bought the house from the estate and moved over here. They are gone now too, but I haven't called for a dumpster. Someone else will have to do it when I'm gone. I can't. Until then, I don't use the garage.

Edited by - Skylark on 07/24/2020 16:50:47
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 07/24/2020 :  16:47:33  Show Profile
Sad that your friends have passed on, Myron and Frank.
We tend to collect things we like, along the way of life, that don't all have the same value to others. Awful that sometimes we have to watch those things boil down like that.

The house where I live now after I retired is 2 doors away from where I grew up. I saw the same thing happen here 40 years ago, after the older couple who had the house built passed away and their son and daughter came back to divide up their parents' estates. Unfortunately, those two couldn't agree with each other very much, and the wills were not specific about how things should be divided. So into the dumpster it went, after the yard sale.
My parents bought the house from the estate and moved over here. They are gone now too, but I haven't called for a dumpster. Someone else will have to do it when I'm gone. I can't. Until then, I don't use the garage.

Edited by - Skylark on 07/24/2020 16:50:47
Go to Top of Page

Myron

USA

Posted - 07/25/2020 :  08:25:54  Show Profile
Rose and I are not hoarders therefore there isnít much here to clean out. When my parents passed their house was filled with junk. I sold their house with all the contents to a neighbor. I havenít been back to view the property since.
Go to Top of Page

Myron

USA

Posted - 07/25/2020 :  08:25:54  Show Profile
Rose and I are not hoarders therefore there isnít much here to clean out. When my parents passed their house was filled with junk. I sold their house with all the contents to a neighbor. I havenít been back to view the property since.
Go to Top of Page

kosh2258

USA

Posted - 07/25/2020 :  20:34:03  Show Profile
Yes, it's a sad reality.
When my father passed away mom had an auction house come in to auction off my father belongings after I took a few things I could use. Then when my mother could no longer live by herself we had another auction for the household items she couldn't take with her. Then we sold the house. Those were two of the hardest days of my life, aside from my parents passing.
Go to Top of Page

kosh2258

USA

Posted - 07/25/2020 :  20:34:03  Show Profile
Yes, it's a sad reality.
When my father passed away mom had an auction house come in to auction off my father belongings after I took a few things I could use. Then when my mother could no longer live by herself we had another auction for the household items she couldn't take with her. Then we sold the house. Those were two of the hardest days of my life, aside from my parents passing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales. © 2000-20 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000