JSS Software:Diecast Forum

“A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.”

-William Shakespeare

Visit Automodello.

The PhillyMint

Diecasm

Legal Disclaimer:

You must be 18 years old to post on our boards as per our registration requirement. All data posted on this site must be "Original and non defamatory". JSS is not responsible for the accuracy of any information which gets posted to our forums. Please view our Forum Guidelines before posting.

Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales.
Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales.
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 JSS Forums
 1:24th Die Cast Forum
 Myron, are you starting to thaw / melt?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Billy Collins

USA

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  10:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A week ago, you were buried in snow and watching it snow again.
A week ago, I had a foot of snow and after a week of 'mostly' 50s - I believe my snow is just about gone.
And... if I listen real close... I can hear the 'potholes' popping in the road!!!! LOL!!!

Edited by - Billy Collins on 02/28/2021 10:37:39

Myron

USA

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  10:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Billy I am not thawed out yet. I still have close to a foot of hard snow on the ground and it is really pissing me off. I need to get to my fruit trees to prune them along with a few other fruit bearing bushes. I usually have everything pruned and sprayed with oil by now and they are not and I can't get to them. I started to prune a few of my taller trees but it was too hard to wade through the snow. I descend from a family of orchard owners and it is in my blood too. However, when we moved to this property seven years ago I didn't plant a lot of fruit trees; my thinking was I would be dead before I could enjoy them. Frank, I am pushing 70 don't let the photo full you, where as at our old home we had a small orchard which we truly enjoyed. Hopefully within the next two weeks I should be able to get everything pruned, prepared and done. Our grandchildren enjoy the fruit when the come and so do we. My Rose makes the best ever blueberry pies which we have all winter from our berries.

March is when I start my wife's flowers around the second week and that is a job all by itself. I guess I shouldn't complain; I'm still breathing and a few of our friends and my sister are not.
Go to Top of Page

tcam

USA

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  11:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear you Myron the only way I can prune my trees is to wear my snowshoes which isn't as easy to do as when I was younger so I'm in a holding pattern also we still have about 3 ft of snow on the ground up here.
Go to Top of Page

Billy Collins

USA

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  17:07:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Myron, your situation is all too familiar to me. My folks ... Dad and Mom... were raised on a farm. When they bought the 5 acre property where they raised us kids on the out-skirts of Fortville. They planned where the garden was going at the same time they were planning where the house went.
To make a ling story short, by the time my Mom was 80 years old whe was awfully tired of that one acre garden AND the 12 - 15 fruit trees. BUT... Dad kept going.... and going. They LOVED that property; but, had no time for anything else in their lives. I tried to help as much as I could; but, I had my own house to take care of too.

I tried EVERY year to get them to give the garden 'a year off'. Tending to the fruit trees was enough = it had to be done every year as you well know. They wouldn't listen to me.

My point? I know how rewarding that kind of work can be; but, don't forget to relax while you have the time - and health - to do it.
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  19:54:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No snow left on ground here, but we had so much rain last evening and today the snow is replaced by ponding water. Can't do any yard chores yet, the mud will take a long time to go away now.

Wish I had some fruit trees, Myron. I tried to grow cherry and peach some time ago, but neither lasted past the second year (and the grape vines never had fruit so I tore them out).

I have good luck with gardening, just not with fruits.

Billy, I can hear the potholes for real....6 or so small ones in the road in front of my place formed a couple days ago, now filling with water, and when cars drive by I hear bouncing suspensions and tires!

Edited by - Skylark on 02/28/2021 19:56:30
Go to Top of Page

Evan M

USA

Posted - 03/01/2021 :  06:08:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad that I live in a warmer climate, we seldom have snow and when it does snow it doesn't last long.
Go to Top of Page

Frank Kocour

USA

Posted - 03/01/2021 :  07:52:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Myron, I had to look up "oiling fruit trees". Who would have thought it. Our neighbors all have orange/lemon/grapefruit trees. We have a couple of young ones, but not sure they will bear fruit this year. The previous owners here told us about a special orange tree that belongs to the neighbor behind us. Well, that neighbor recently brough over a bag of oranges. I've never tasted such delicous fruit. Sweet/sour with just the right pucker power. Soon the orange blossoms will be in bloom. Heavenly scent that is a killer for those who are allegic to pollen.

Billy, you described our situation perfectly when you spoke about your mom and dad. Like them, all of our time was spent on the house, which we loved, but it became our whole life. That's why we sold it. We couldn't get away from it and the expense would have eaten us alive eventually.

We are still setting up in our new place, but soon we will be able to travel outside of our five mile radius (past the plant nursury and Home Depot) and start exploring the rest of the world.
Go to Top of Page

Myron

USA

Posted - 03/01/2021 :  09:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, Billy I love my fruit trees especially the fresh fruit. Yes, I do spray them and our fruit is as nice as anything you would purchase in a grocery store no spots, no worms. Me and my little Maddy (my dog) love eating it all summer. Rose especially loves the peaches as do I. I love the cherries and red raspberries too. Maddy and the grand kids tend to go for the blueberries the most. But I digress and this is where me and the love for old trucks come from; all those orchards that I helped tend had very old trucks as a kid I got to drive all around those orchards. Yes these are the trucks with the starter on the floor, running boards and just freakin' cool.
Go to Top of Page

Frank Kocour

USA

Posted - 03/02/2021 :  08:18:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Myron, sounds like you live in the garden of Eden. You could open a fruit stand. Does Rose do canning? What do you do with all of that fruit?

I also learned to drive on one of those old heaps on a farm. An International, if I remember right. I had a real problem keeping my foot evenly on the gas as the truck went over the furrows. I did't roll over them, I hopscotched them.
Go to Top of Page

Myron

USA

Posted - 03/02/2021 :  09:26:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, I do the canning but most of the fruit is gone before canning starts. Between the kids and all the friends that call this place home in the summer fresh fruit doesn't stand a chance. Funny story when we sold our old house, the one with the mini orchard on it, our neighbor would sneak into the orchard in the fall to pick Jonathan apples and drop them on our porch at the new house so Rose could bake him a pie. LOL! Those apples made the best pie and you can't buy them locally anymore.

My best friend owned a meat market/bakery and would take all of our fruit we had left over. He never made anything to sell and I asked him why. He told me it was too good to sell off they shared it amongst their family only. I miss him very much; he was one of the best men I had the honor to call my friend. I cried like a baby the day he died and I still miss him terribly today.
Go to Top of Page

Billy Collins

USA

Posted - 03/02/2021 :  09:45:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank / Myron; you guys are making my mouth water. And the childhood memories are sure flooding into my mind.
I spent many summer evenings picking blackberries in my Grandma's patch. I ate as many as I put in the bucket.
My Mom blessed the whole family with her canned peaches / pears off of their trees. I've found out since then that peaches / pears are a great natural remedy for acid-reflux .... instead of spending money for that little, purple pill. GOD bless you Mom.

And here's a childhood memory of mine out of left field. Have you ever heard of -or- seen a 'PAW PAW' - TREE? Some folks used to call them 'Indiana Bananas'. It's literally been 50 years since I've eaten one. I"ve only seen them grown in northern Indiana; but, they could grow other places I'd imagine.
When a 'paw paw' is ripe it's about the size of a medium-size potato. It's ripe when it's green skin is just starting to turn brown. When you cut it open the inside 'meat' tastes almost exactly like a regular banana. It has a couple of seeds inside though that make you think of an almond (nut).
Us kids used to take them to school with us in our lunch. So, it must've been ripe in the fall of the year.

Dad / Mom were trying to grow a pair of them on their property. I need to ask Dad about 'that while he still has his memory.

Silly... but, great memories.

Edited by - Billy Collins on 03/02/2021 09:51:08
Go to Top of Page

Frank Kocour

USA

Posted - 03/03/2021 :  05:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Billy, I never heard of a "Paw Paw" Tree so I looked it up. Here is what I found.

"A pawpaw's flavor is sunny, electric, and downright tropical: a riot of mango-banana-citrus that's incongruous with its temperate, deciduous forest origins. They also have a subtle kick of a yeasty, floral aftertaste a bit like unfiltered wheat beer."

Many, that's some serious kid of fruit!
Go to Top of Page

Evan M

USA

Posted - 03/03/2021 :  06:12:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Kocour

Billy, I never heard of a "Paw Paw" Tree so I looked it up. Here is what I found.

"A pawpaw's flavor is sunny, electric, and downright tropical: a riot of mango-banana-citrus that's incongruous with its temperate, deciduous forest origins. They also have a subtle kick of a yeasty, floral aftertaste a bit like unfiltered wheat beer."

Many, that's some serious kid of fruit!

It sounds good to me. I'd like to try it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales. © 2000-21 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000