JSS Software:Diecast Forum

“A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.”

-William Shakespeare

Visit Automodello.

The PhillyMint

Diecasm

Legal Disclaimer:

You must be 18 years old to post on our boards as per our registration requirement. All data posted on this site must be "Original and non defamatory". JSS is not responsible for the accuracy of any information which gets posted to our forums. Please view our Forum Guidelines before posting.

Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales.
Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales.
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 JSS Forums
 Corner Bar
 Electric Vehicles - in The Real World
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Skylark

USA

Posted - 12/03/2019 :  04:51:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is geared towards pickup trucks and SUV's, but so much of it applies to passenger cars, too.

Video doesn't mention what we call, in the automotive engineering world, the deterioration factor of powertrains (in this case, the battery).... as Myron correctly pointed out in one of his posts recently about how as batteries age, they discharge faster and require even more frequent recharging. So add that to the other shortcomings as you watch this video report.

Sure Tesla, VW and others are claiming how fast EV's can accelerate from the stoplight, and how far the range of batteries is now. But once drivers watch this video, I think a lot more people will view this flawed information with skepticism. Theoretical data, not practical.... using an "Earth is flat" mentality.

Do you drive in sparsely populated areas of the country? Do you live in areas where there is a lot of terrain changes on your daily commute (hills and valleys), or on your weekend getaways? Yes, acceleration is immediate - but do you expect to drive that way, knowing you might not get back home? I've said before, I don't care if the EV can out-accelerate me from 0-60, because after a little further travel up the road I'll pass him back when his battery weakens. There is so much risk to people who buy into the hype.

Are you prepared to search for charging stations that are compatible with your particular electric vehicle manufacturer (proprietary charging networks perhaps, because the technology is not evolving in a coherent fashion)? Does that sound a little like Microsoft's business model of sales through obsolescence? Has anybody seen an 8-track tape player or beta video player for sale at your local electronics store lately? Are you prepared to possibly see your EV investment ($35-40,000) evaporate like your 8-track or beta video collection did if you bet on the wrong horse? Who will buy your possibly obsolete EV?

This technology is great for electric utilities, and perhaps solar panel producers. Don't be surprised if oil companies don't buy out or merge with your local electric utility, to control their profit leakage. You won't realize any free miles in any move away from gasoline. I don't view any of this as good for consumers, but you will all decide in your own way. Have a watch of the video.

BTW.... they didn't complete their planned trip. The time spent potentially recharging would have made them late to their destination. One hour recharge, for every 1.5 hour of drive time in mountains. lol

Edited by - Skylark on 12/03/2019 06:01:23

Frank Kocour

USA

Posted - 12/03/2019 :  06:24:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting and revealing. I have wondered how the electric vehicles are going to survive with propietary charging stations. Eventually, there will have to be a common solution for all charging stations to fit all electric vehicles. I see a huge market for adapters and licensing agreements.
Go to Top of Page

Billy Collins

USA

Posted - 12/03/2019 :  08:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, still can't see your video post...oh, well.

Anyway... I was watching a program a week or so back (probably on PBS) about the faults of the Tesla's 'AI' (artificial intelligence) that will drive the car independently without the driver's input. It is getting people hurt and 'killed'. The show highlighted the fate of a gentleman who had been posting videos on youtube about his adventures in his Tesla. Well, one day he fell asleep at the wheel while his AI was in control. While on a 4-lane highway, a semi-truck coming from the opposite direction made a U-turn in front of the Tesla - the AI did NOT recognize the truck as a threat and drove right into it. The driver of the Tesla was killed. AI is great in vehicles 'or even airplanes'... to a point.

Another issue is the potential of the batteries 'exploding'. Age, overheating, internal chemical break-downs... are some of the root causes. If you're inside the vehicle when 'that' happens - you are toast.

Having generic recharging stations will be the future. But, that only works if there are no mass power outages... thunderstorms and regular summertime 'peak' usage cause power outages all the time. Better have a 'plan B'.
Go to Top of Page

kosh2258

USA

Posted - 12/03/2019 :  12:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The electric lobby also avoids the issue of electrics in cold climates and the impact on range that has. Resistance heating load and the impact on battery capacity cold weather has. I still stand on the belief electrics don't become practical until the hydrogen fuel cell become commercially viable and the hydrogen fueling infrastructure is in place.
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 12/03/2019 :  15:24:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I drove a hydrogen prototype, Ted. They wouldn't let me refuel it upon return. Too dangerous.

Scary thought, when I remember seeing occasionally drivers get out and begin fueling their vehicle at a regular gas station .... while still smoking a cigarette.
(Yes, I had to tell one guy to put it out, before he blew us all up! Clueless)

Edited by - Skylark on 12/03/2019 15:32:43
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 12/03/2019 :  15:27:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Billy, you might try doing a video search directly in youtube, with the title of "forget the tug of war", it likely will pop up.

You don't even want to get me started on "self-driving" cars. lol
I'll just say, I see lawyers salivating already.

Edited by - Skylark on 12/03/2019 15:39:39
Go to Top of Page

Myron

USA

Posted - 12/04/2019 :  08:29:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My opinion is these vehicles are made for the city nothing more.
Go to Top of Page

jimmcdonald

USA

Posted - 12/04/2019 :  09:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting video. The need to constantly stop to recharge certainly puts a crimp into long distance driving, as does the need for proprietary charging stations.
Go to Top of Page

Myron

USA

Posted - 12/04/2019 :  09:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you read any news concerning black friday shopping in CA the lines to charge these cars on that night were up to a half mile long with wait times of up to two hours. And then sit there another hour to put a charge into them. I don't think so. Hey I am not saying this is not the way to go all I am saying the charging system needs to be more advanced to do a quick charge.
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 12/05/2019 :  02:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol, not disagreeing Myron, but about being only good for city use,

I wonder what the feeling of drivers will be when someone is holding up rush hour traffic by driving 30 mph in the center lane on the 70 mph expressways because they forgot to recharge and are low on battery power, limping along to get home?

You know it's gonna happen!

Edited by - Skylark on 12/05/2019 02:22:54
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 12/05/2019 :  02:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We could go back to coal-fired steam engines, adapted to cars! We have lots of coal! Carry a few lumps in a coal bin in the trunk for the daily commute. Every car gets a clean-coal soot screen.

Without question, I think there will need to be more re-charging stations than we currently have gasoline fill-up stations. Throughput lanes is the answer. Shorten the lines. Quicker charging I think is almost out of possibilities. We've gone from overnight, to now 1-hour "supercharging". But you still won't get as far as you did on a tank of gas with each battery re-charge. That's why electrics lost the competition with gasoline in the early 1900's. Batteries are inconvenient. EV's went from being the biggest seller to the basement almost overnight back then.

I imagine the major news outlets aren't repeating those Black Friday shopping center horror stories for wider national viewing. I don't watch the TV/cable news as much these days, and I haven't seen that story yet on MSN or other internet news sites I pass through. I have to come to JSS to get that info!

Edited by - Skylark on 12/05/2019 02:53:16
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales. © 2000-19 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000