JSS Software:Diecast Forum

“A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.”

-William Shakespeare

Visit Automodello.

The PhillyMint

Diecasm

Legal Disclaimer:

You must be 18 years old to post on our boards as per our registration requirement. All data posted on this site must be "Original and non defamatory". JSS is not responsible for the accuracy of any information which gets posted to our forums. Please view our Forum Guidelines before posting.

Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales.
Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales.
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 JSS Forums
 Corner Bar
 Just watch.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bob Nist

USA

Posted - 09/09/2020 :  19:28:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec-LrW1tSHQ

Chav

USA

Posted - 09/09/2020 :  20:44:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poor guy, is he from Patagonia ...
I can't believe he is this Tesla's owner, I bet somebody pranked him ...

Edited by - Chav on 09/09/2020 22:02:26
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 09/09/2020 :  20:49:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This represents the intelligence of EV/Tesla buyers to me!!
Our future leaders!
LMAO
Thanks Bob!
Go to Top of Page

Chav

USA

Posted - 09/09/2020 :  22:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skylark

This represents the intelligence of EV/Tesla buyers to me!!
Our future leaders!
LMAO
Thanks Bob!

#1 Why would it be unintelligent to buy Tesla? I know several people who own Tesla and they are certainly no dummies. I am personally considering buying one

#2 The guy is ignorant but you cannot judge his intelligence based on this video. In fact he deals OK with the situation.

#3 There is no evidence that he is the owner.

Edited by - Chav on 09/09/2020 22:44:36
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 09/10/2020 :  05:33:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I won't be drawn into a back-and-forth debate on this.
Suffice to say all I will say on the matter will be in just this one long post....

First, I want to clarify...I said "EV/Tesla", not just Tesla. Ford and GM will soon have EV's on the market, I'm no more in favor of those than I am of Tesla EV's as far as the type of people who will buy them. My "point" was that those buyers are not leaders, they follow the crowd, and I intended the comment in the same vein as Bob's original humorous post.

Electric vehicles were once the best sellers in the US automotive market, back in 1900, but quickly and totally lost out to gas engine vehicles because EV's could not meet real world customer expectation for convenience of use (even in cities).

History will repeat due to the same reason now, and also since battery packs are simply too expensive to replace and operate for used car buyers in the secondary market these days (very few will want to buy your used EV); plus there is the issue of disposal of used batteries that will soon become an environmental nightmare -- when large scale replacement of worn-out battery packs is needed in this market and they begin to pile up everywhere. You will have to pay someone a fee to take your used batteries, and less-affluent people will balk at that added expense. People dump tires along the road and elsewhere today rather than pay the small $5 or so disposal fee. Battery fees will undoubtedly be much higher, so I expect even less compliance.

Used battery packs in vehicles also have less efficiency, you will lose top speed and range as they age, and they will require more frequent recharges to go the same number of miles, driving up operating costs and time-lost waiting at re-charge stations even for many first owners. Too many people pushing their agenda for EV's today have not studied or are even aware of this history, or thought all that much about the negatives yet. It's a fad that will fizzle again in the US, in a decade I predict. There is already tremendous resistance in the used car sales market today against hybrids (that have only been around for 15-20 years). The saturation point for full EV's will be even faster unless they are forced onto us by mandate.

You must have missed the earlier conversation we had here on JSS, Chav, about the inconveniences associated with owning any EV, not just Tesla, in the real world. Long lines for re-charging stations for instance, much longer than at any gas station. No standard receptacle for the cord, so you are forced to use the manufacturer's preferred network of stations. Once electric companies realize they have a semi-monopoly on transportation and can raise rates to charge drivers more, regardless whether you recharge at home or on the road, you can bet people will realize how easy and convenient and less costly to operate gas engines were in comparison, and migrate back to them. Just as consumers did back in 1900.

You know as well as I do, Chav, the commute time in Detroit can vary daily, and sometimes widely. I would never take the chance of having an electric vehicle I'm driving run out of juice before I can get home, because I'm stuck in stop-and-go traffic due to someone else's accident or slowed to near stand-still for bad winter weather. And if others around you in the traffic jam are low on battery too, you will all be heading for the same recharge stations along the route and will sit there waiting instead of on the road.

And if I decide to take an unplanned side trip to Toledo "after work" instead of going straight home on a nice day, as I used to do sometimes, I don't want to be penalized an extra 20 minutes of time for a re-charge to get back home later -- because I've exceeded my battery range. People will see these disadvantages soon, these people who follow crowds and do not think things through before they buy an EV. They will realize their mistake, and will need to hope manufacturers are still making gas-powered vehicles so they can dump the EV and its inconveniences. I'll keep my gas-powered car and by-pass all that non-sense, thank you.

Sorry Bob, I thought your post was funny. I don't want to hi-jack the thread, so this is all I'm going to say in defense of my response, which I also intended as humorous.

Edited by - Skylark on 09/10/2020 06:14:12
Go to Top of Page

Frank Kocour

USA

Posted - 09/10/2020 :  07:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to believe this is staged or at least planned by someone. There is no gas gauge in the car. Unless someone was pranking him why would he stop to fill it up? There was another video recently about a blonde woman doing the same thing. Imo, both trying to get likes and notariety.
Go to Top of Page

Chav

USA

Posted - 09/10/2020 :  08:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, I understand the arguments against EV cars and that’s why I hesitated to buy one for all these years. I was annoyed that you are drawing generalizations for the intelligence of “EV/Tesla buyers” based on video showing an ignorant young man trying to fill the “tank of Tesla”, who shows at least average intelligence by finally understanding his mistake. The video is absolutely funny and I laughed, and I am going to show it to my son. You may be right about the issues with the EV batteries, I have not researched it, I am only saying that I know people who are intelligent and own Tesla, and are happy with them, including people with long commutes and people who bought used cars. My commute is 7 minutes and my wife’s is 10 min, I am mostly interested in Tesla’s driving agility. However am personally an engine guy, so I was considering it mostly for my wife. My personal opinion is that EV cars are here to stay, their only limitations are batteries and infrastructure, both of which will improve and develop over time.

Edited by - Chav on 09/10/2020 09:20:45
Go to Top of Page

Myron

USA

Posted - 09/10/2020 :  11:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I owned a Lexus Hybrid, which ran on a battery when it could, and I hated it. The car could not get out of it's own way and the battery was giving me a problem, the cost to replace it was around $5000.00 so I traded it and yes the dealer took into consideration that it was going to need a New battery hence my trade was lower by five grand. My New car which is gas, albeit it a turbo-charged four cylinder gets as much mileage as the Hybrid with power to spare. I would not own anything with a battery in it ever again. Just my opinion. Now if you lived in the city and were only going to use it as a grocery getter you should be just fine.

A friend of mine has a Volt which is a total EV and his assumption is worse than mine.

Edited by - Myron on 09/10/2020 12:10:47
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 09/10/2020 :  17:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the reality, Myron.
Most people will be unhappy if they switch.
Electricity rates here just jumped 15%; utilities companies are merging all over the country and licking their chops for the coming EV wave.
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 09/10/2020 :  17:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Kocour

I have to believe this is staged or at least planned by someone. There is no gas gauge in the car. Unless someone was pranking him why would he stop to fill it up? There was another video recently about a blonde woman doing the same thing. Imo, both trying to get likes and notariety.

I think so too, Frank.
Go to Top of Page

Myron

USA

Posted - 09/11/2020 :  08:22:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don’t think it was staged. You can’t fix stupid.

As a kid working at a gas station I can’t tell you how many people couldn’t find the engine on their VW or their radiator. No I believe he F%#*^%+ up on this purchase.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales. © 2000-20 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000