JSS Software:Diecast Forum

“A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.”

-William Shakespeare

Visit Automodello.

The PhillyMint

Diecasm

Legal Disclaimer:

You must be 18 years old to post on our boards as per our registration requirement. All data posted on this site must be "Original and non defamatory". JSS is not responsible for the accuracy of any information which gets posted to our forums. Please view our Forum Guidelines before posting.

Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales.
Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales.
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 JSS Forums
 Corner Bar
 Electric Vehicle News
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Skylark

USA

Posted - 10/17/2020 :  00:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It isn't front page news only because of the elections, but there is trouble in EV Land. Nothing extremely new, if you stay close to the subject daily.... however the data is coming a bit more out of hiding.

Here is a quote from a Bloomberg article today....

"Vehicles going up in flames aren’t new to the electric era. An estimated 171,500 took place annually in the U.S. alone over a recent three-year period"

171,500 Annually!!?
Now if that is true, it's shocking to me that more isn't being said about safety of EV's. Why are we going forward with this unsafe technology? We've heard about battery fires, in many household appliances.... and I believe a smidgen of negative news about Tesla batteries got out that was quickly swept under the rug somehow.

But now, a business news outlet as large as Bloomberg is willing to report the extent of the fire danger with electric vehicles.

(I'm going to keep watch on this, because it's possible Bloomberg got data that mingles gas engine and electric-powered vehicles)

More from the story:
"BMW and Hyundai are recalling tens of thousands of cars, and GM is being probed by U.S. safety regulators."

(I've heard there is also some question about Ford hybrid SUV's in Europe, so we've decided to delay by a year introducing that vehicle package on SUV's we were going to sell in the US)

Now get this one:
" “What we’re seeing with new fires has more to do with the landslide of new EV models and higher sales in the last couple of years -- there are more fires because there are more EVs,” said Sam Jaffe, managing director at Cairn Energy Research Advisors, a Boulder, Colorado-based consultancy. "

I simply cannot understand how someone could say that with a straight face!!!

Imagine..... if we all are forced into electric vehicles after this year (which is what is coming, like it or not), this "expert" is telling us all that 171,500 annually is only the tip of the iceberg.

One further quote:
" Around the world, engineers are still tinkering with the complicated chemical cocktail that goes into EV batteries. They’re in a global race to make them cheaper, lighter, and more powerful -- one that some analysts warn could come at the expense of safety.

“Pursuing a higher battery density will normally mean you need to sacrifice safety,” said Toliver Ma, a Hong Kong-based analyst at Guotai Junan Securities Co. “It’s long been a problem that hasn’t been solved. Battery makers are wanting to put out batteries that have a long driving range, because that’s what automakers demand.” "

End of rant, but I couldn't just sit here reading that and not blow a gasket.

Edited by - Skylark on 10/17/2020 01:05:03

Frank Kocour

USA

Posted - 10/17/2020 :  08:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's pretty scary, considering that a battery fire in a car can reach 5,000 degrees fahrenheit and putting water to it can cause an explosion. Also, there is no way to gauge how much energy is still in that battery once the fire is out. Consequently the fire can reignite on its own a few days later.

Here's even more scary thoughts. Everything these days is becoming battery powered. Storage batteries are being installed in homes. Tools are battery powered. What happens when your battery powered lawn mower gets too hot and suddenly burst into flames. No problem, just get out the hose and water it down. And that's when it explodes.

Green energy is far from being maintream.

Informative video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp3WvKON_W4&feature=emb_logo
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 10/17/2020 :  18:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting, I hadn't thought about electrocution risk if you happen to have an accident on a rainy night, with a "live" battery soaking in water around you.
This video just woke me up to that potential. Firemen wear boots that would protect them, but normal passengers in the car would not.

Nothing left up front of that Tesla after the crash, I also noticed.

Edited by - Skylark on 10/17/2020 18:52:58
Go to Top of Page

kosh2258

USA

Posted - 10/21/2020 :  16:08:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not surprised, actually. Anytime you hear a group claiming something is THE solution, you can pretty well bet they're not telling the whole truth.
I've seen videos of Teslas that have caught fire and it's impressive - very similar to a magnesium fire and probably as hot.
There are complaints about fracking for natural gas. But just compare the footprint of a fracking well compared to the footprint for a strip mine to get the rare earths to make batteries for electric cars. That's one of the dirty little secret about electrics. The other is how much range is affected in cold weather states when power has to be diverted to heating the interior.
Electrics will only become truly practical when the hydrogen fuel cell is developed to be cost effective and the infrastructure is in place to fuel them.
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 10/22/2020 :  01:29:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Refilling of hydrogen is itself an explosion risk.
I drove a prototype vehicle built to run on hydrogen, many years ago, as an evaluation.
They would not allow me to refuel it when I finished the drive. I had to stand back at a distance while the engineer took it to the refueling hook-up inside our Proving Grounds.

Edited by - Skylark on 10/22/2020 01:30:40
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales. © 2000-20 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000