JSS Software:Diecast Forum

“A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.”

-William Shakespeare

Visit Automodello.

The PhillyMint

Diecasm

Legal Disclaimer:

You must be 18 years old to post on our boards as per our registration requirement. All data posted on this site must be "Original and non defamatory". JSS is not responsible for the accuracy of any information which gets posted to our forums. Please view our Forum Guidelines before posting.

Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales.
Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales.
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 JSS Forums
 Corner Bar
 Another Pitfall for Electric Vehicles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Skylark

USA

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  01:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just saw a picture, but it won't copy or link here, showing what can happen to EV recharging stations in big snows.

The snow plow contractor pushed all the snow TOWARD the stations, not away from them. The pic showed the small mountain heaped over the equipment. Not many would be willing/able to get close enough to even pull the nozzle out to their vehicle!

Edited by - Skylark on 02/23/2021 01:49:01

Myron

USA

Posted - 02/25/2021 :  14:32:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill I suggest everyone read up on this technology. Like your phone battery, as these batteries age, they lose power which means they won't go as far as originally planned and not only that the car manufacturer has to be careful with these aged batteries on how fast they can be charged and how much they can be charged so they don't explode. Ole' Myron isn't making this stuff up look it up for yourself. Tesla is noted for flashing the cars memory to dumb them down just for this reason. As you explore more about this technology you will be surprised on how explode mostly after the battery ages around 5 years. Like your phone battery, which I might add I work on, if that battery is exposed to water or you puncture its membrane one of two things happens. One it will explode, two it will catch on fire. Been there done that.

Look I am not saying this isn't the future but it isn't going to happen over night.
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 02/25/2021 :  16:14:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a pitfall that I COULD copy/paste:

...imagine....you're in your Tesla, your battery is really low because you forgot to recharge it before you left home....this is the only charging station between you and your destination --- and you can't turn around to go home

Go to Top of Page

Evan M

USA

Posted - 02/26/2021 :  06:33:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll bet that would be shocking.
Go to Top of Page

Frank Kocour

USA

Posted - 02/26/2021 :  07:03:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not just the above mentioned items. Much, if not most, of the material that make up these rechargeable batteries come from 2nd and third world countries that have weak governments. The potential for fraud, corrpution, unrest, price wars, boycots, power struggles (just to name a few potential hurdles) could not only upset the entire market for EVs but also the economies of every nation and its citizens and throw the entire world for a loop. We have a lot to learn and many mistakes to be made before we become a zero emissions world. Won't happen in our lifetime, IMO.
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 02/26/2021 :  22:42:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People are leaving California. I just read the state may have to institute a 25% reduction mandate on personal driving if they are to meet the Paris Emissions target, even WITH EV's. Maybe that's why more are leaving.

AOC and that crowd are nuts!

Edited by - Skylark on 02/26/2021 22:43:04
Go to Top of Page

Steve K

USA

Posted - 03/04/2021 :  09:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My beef with EVs is that the electrical supply for charging still has to come from energy producing source that aren't green. Also, what happens to all the batteries at the end of their life - landfills?
IMO hydrogen is the answer and should be explored more.
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 03/05/2021 :  08:03:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spacex just had another rocket explosion I saw. We have been using hydrogen in those things for what, 55+ years and it still isn't safe. (My guess is that's what caused this one again)
I'm not putting any money on it for personal vehicles, Bob. We haven't learned all that much to put it in the hands of the general public.

I still remember Ford engineering coming to me and a few others to do a voluntary evaluation of a car with that system that they were working on. It drove fine. But at the end of the drive, it needed re-fueled...and they wouldn't allow me to even be nearby when they did it.

Edited by - Skylark on 03/05/2021 08:04:41
Go to Top of Page

Myron

USA

Posted - 03/05/2021 :  09:30:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is one ****ed up world we are now living in, I won't be around to see how this plays out but I only hope for the betterment of my grandkids.
Go to Top of Page

Frank Kocour

USA

Posted - 03/06/2021 :  08:36:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you know that a space hotel is planned to open in 2027. Hope the propulsion system is solved by then . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Oh5ARY_MCM
Go to Top of Page

kosh2258

USA

Posted - 03/13/2021 :  13:53:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Kocour

Did you know that a space hotel is planned to open in 2027. Hope the propulsion system is solved by then . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Oh5ARY_MCM

I saw that picture and immediately thought of 2001: A Space Odyssey. It look very much like the space station in the movie.
What I'm wondering is where the commercial shuttles are going to come from since nobody I know of is working on a craft like that, except the military.

Edited by - kosh2258 on 03/13/2021 13:55:56
Go to Top of Page

kosh2258

USA

Posted - 03/13/2021 :  13:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve K

My beef with EVs is that the electrical supply for charging still has to come from energy producing source that aren't green. Also, what happens to all the batteries at the end of their life - landfills?
IMO hydrogen is the answer and should be explored more.

GM is working on a Lithium metal battery that they claim will yield a 500 - 600 mile range. Great. But that still doesn't resolve the issue of convenient charging stations or the time to charge the battery pack.
Go to Top of Page

Frank Kocour

USA

Posted - 03/14/2021 :  10:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ted, the hotel will only be about 62 miles away - straight up. A giant slingshot should do the trick.
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 03/14/2021 :  15:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ted, the hotel will only be about 62 miles away - straight up. A giant slingshot should do the trick.

Wiley Coyote would just use ACME coil springs!
Go to Top of Page

kosh2258

USA

Posted - 03/16/2021 :  21:21:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Go to Top of Page

Myron

USA

Posted - 03/17/2021 :  09:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone here believe this technology will work? I don't, sorry, tar me now. I handle calls all week on cell phones and how their batteries only last a short time. How do you think you will drive this car for miles without a problem? I can see them used in the city or short commutes but with today's technologies that will be it. I owned a Lexus Hybrid and it did run on just the battery if I choose to drive that way. Let me tell you the only thing it was good for was putting golf clubs in the trunk and driving it on the course. The car on battery had no power, you would be killed in this thing around here trying to pull out into traffic. Our entire area is one hill after another the battery wasn't designed for this type of driving.

I won't see the final outcome of all of this; too old. But it will be interesting that's for sure. I suggest all members of the House and Senate only drive these vehicles, give us another stimulus so everyone can afford to purchase one and then reduce our electric bills so we can afford to charge them. What a freakin' joke this all is and lead by a bunch of freakin' clowns on both sides of the isles.

Edited by - Myron on 03/17/2021 09:52:20
Go to Top of Page

kosh2258

USA

Posted - 03/17/2021 :  11:39:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myron

Does anyone here believe this technology will work? I don't, sorry, tar me now. I handle calls all week on cell phones and how their batteries only last a short time. How do you think you will drive this car for miles without a problem? I can see them used in the city or short commutes but with today's technologies that will be it. I owned a Lexus Hybrid and it did run on just the battery if I choose to drive that way. Let me tell you the only thing it was good for was putting golf clubs in the trunk and driving it on the course. The car on battery had no power, you would be killed in this thing around here trying to pull out into traffic. Our entire area is one hill after another the battery wasn't designed for this type of driving.

I won't see the final outcome of all of this; too old. But it will be interesting that's for sure. I suggest all members of the House and Senate only drive these vehicles, give us another stimulus so everyone can afford to purchase one and then reduce our electric bills so we can afford to charge them. What a freakin' joke this all is and lead by a bunch of freakin' clowns on both sides of the isles.

What I think will happen is that the technology will be shoved down the market's throat. Many in the market will go; uh no. The used vehicle market will heat up for internal combustion powered vehicles, driving values up, much to the chagrin of the auto industry.
The government will step in and squeeze the petroleum industry by increasing taxes and other things, driving up the cost of fuel in an attempt to force people to electrics. The infrastructure won't support the load. The public will rebel. Chaos will reign.

I have spoken.
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 03/17/2021 :  19:16:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It can't work. Not in a totally free market. The volume of EV sales today is propped up by government incentives and even then only a million EV's have sold so far, against a car/truck sales market of 14-15 million EVERY YEAR in this country. There just isn't a demand.

So it's true, the government will issue mandates....like Britain and much of Europe is doing to restrict gasoline car usage from areas immediately and ordering no new gasoline car sales in a few years. It will force our people into EV's if they want a car.

The Federal government is already squeezing the oil industry, with that pipeline project again put on hold by my party (I'm against that move, and said so at the last convention I attended before the pandemic, but few there care -- they're so ambivalent or anti-oil), and also by restricting leases on Federal land and off-shore from drilling.

With the investment required to convert over to electrics, the auto industry itself is now going to be part of the inertia to keep them going. As soon as Tesla announced their initial prices a few years back, that has been the target for our auto companies (including mine) for vehicle pricing. It is not costs driving the price up to $30K or $50K, it has been conditioning customers to accept EV pricing that the companies were planning all along.

The people have got to be the ones to hold onto our freedom of personal movement, by vocally rejecting the green extremists at every turn, and maybe hold onto our more-convenient and efficient gasoline motors for another generation. Otherwise, we will go back to the days of electric inter-urbans/street-cars for mobility and you will need to buy a ticket to go anywhere in the self-driving cars that only governments and corporations can afford or buy, running on a drive-by-wire grid that governments can tax electronically per-mile-traveled. This is how the greens plan our future transportation mobility (even William Clay Ford, Jr. when you understand where he is taking our Company).

I'm really looking at the California Governor recall struggle as a starting point to putting some normalcy back into everyday life in the US. If they push their extremists out of power there, it will be easier elsewhere. Same goes for Cuomo's situation in NY. But the REAL battle will then become reprogramming all the youth generation to reject the bs they've received and been passing back-and-forth between them advocating this false climate change urgency, driven in by political forces to mine for urban votes.

I'm with you completely Myron, anything new may seem better, but after you live with it and experience it, it isn't always quite as good as it seemed it would be. I hate my rechargeable electric razor now, when at one time I loved it --- in use I've found over the years that they last less and less on recharges and the "inconvenience" of the cord was just replaced by the inconvenience to more frequently remember to keep the thing recharged. I kept buying new ones promising better battery life. Nowadays, I can't even get mine to recharge at all, so in a way I'm back to a corded electric razor because I need to plug it in to use it. And I'm thinking....people want to live this way with their cars, looking for a cord??!!!

EV's have been rejected in the US once, after they were the best-selling type of car back in 1900, but by 1910 or 1915 were totally gone. Too much inconvenience.... and it turned out only more convenient electric starters were required - instead of the crank-starter - to get consumers to switch en masse. People in the 2020's will have to relearn the lessons learned in the 1910's, sadly.

To the people who say "you just plug it in while you sleep", I say I already have too many things on my mind daily, I don't need another daily complication to keep remembering and working around. Many people are mentally tired when they get home, some will forget to plug in. These EV people also say the electric rates are cheaper at night, but I know that when almost everybody is doing that recharging overnight, the utilities can flip those rates and make it MORE expensive. It only takes 10 minutes at a pump once a week for most of us to keep our gasoline cars going. That's way more convenient and simple.

Edited by - Skylark on 03/17/2021 20:26:58
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 03/18/2021 :  04:21:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read something while looking at a tire video on utube. In it, it was reported by a major news outlet (MSNBC if you can believe them) that the added weight of batteries in an EV increases the overall weight of vehicles more than the reduction for the gas engine taken out of it. That definitely caught my attention.
The story went on to say this will increase the cost of tires on EV's, since they need to be designed for greater weight, and therefore also the replacement cost for consumers down the road will be much higher.
I have no way to confirm the weights, but it is another one of those unknown factors that makes EV's so risky to embrace. As far as I know, Tesla has never admitted to this weight penalty and I'm pretty sure the general public is not thinking about that new cost.

Edited by - Skylark on 03/18/2021 04:27:19
Go to Top of Page

Frank Kocour

USA

Posted - 03/18/2021 :  07:20:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent string of posts. I agree with all that has been said here. My son is into the green movement big time. He is involved with a real estate project where there will be no cars (only Ubers) and therefore no garages. He can afford almost any car he wants. He just bought a new Ford Explorer ST. Quite a great car that runs on regular gas and he paid a bunch of money for it. My son-in-law is an executive of a local power company. He and my daughter just bought a new Kia Tulluride. The other four vehicles owned by my daughter and three grand kids are all 100% gas powered vehicles. It's going to take awhile for our society to change it's driving habits that probably will be hastened by government control and pressure, sadly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales. © 2000-21 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000