JSS Software:Diecast Forum
SiteLock Security

“A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.”

-William Shakespeare

Visit Automodello.

The PhillyMint

Diecasm

Legal Disclaimer:

You must be 18 years old to post on our boards as per our registration requirement. All data posted on this site must be "Original and non defamatory". JSS is not responsible for the accuracy of any information which gets posted to our forums. Please view our Forum Guidelines before posting.

Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales.
Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales.
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 JSS Forums
 1:24th Die Cast Forum
 Was this the first real SUV?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Skylark

USA

Posted - 08/03/2023 :  22:13:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the early '60's International Scout 80

1961 model

1964 model

Edited by - Skylark on 08/03/2023 23:09:24

Billy Collins

USA

Posted - 08/03/2023 :  22:27:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, this is a decent looking vehicle.
but, it certainly was not the 1st SUV.

You got to go back much further...
... 1946 Chevy Carryall. DM did a 1:24 of it.
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 08/03/2023 :  23:29:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh, but was the Suburban really a sport utility vehicle? Was it configurable and nimble, for off-road use?

The roof and doors were fixed in place. It could carry passengers and cargo, so yes it had utility. And camping might be considered sporting.

But configurable and nimble?

Some online conversation elsewhere are tossing around the idea that the original Ford Bronco was first. I'm not so sure, since it first came along later, in 1965.

Jeep/Willys was older than all of them, but would we say it was a SUV? I'm not sure. Was it the Dodge PowerWagon (even though it didn't have much passenger space until later)?
So I asked myself the question, and then put it on here for thoughts and ideas.

Again like the Mustang paint colors topic I posted a couple days ago, I got into this thought process since we have few new choices of diecast in 1:24.
I'm gravitating back to looking at model kits. My hobby store has a Scout and Bronco kit on his shelf. I couldn't decide which I would buy.

If you think the Carryall was a SUV, Billy, that's fine. It wasn't my first thought, but I'm open minded enough to consider it in the ball park.

I'm interested in what everyone has to say.

Edited by - Skylark on 08/04/2023 08:46:00
Go to Top of Page

Gene

USA

Posted - 08/04/2023 :  08:00:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JMHO, I'd guess the original Jeep/Willys 4x4 wagons since they had the utility, storage AND off road prowess.

Edited by - Gene on 08/04/2023 11:31:20
Go to Top of Page

Steve K

USA

Posted - 08/04/2023 :  08:00:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skylark

the early '60's International Scout 80

1961 model

1964 model

Within the industry, the '34 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall is considered the first SUV. This one is a '35;

Go to Top of Page

tcam

USA

Posted - 08/04/2023 :  12:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL they all look good to me and it can be said that each is a version of an SUV?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales. © 2000-23 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000