JSS Software:Diecast Forum
SiteLock Security

“A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.”

-William Shakespeare

Visit Automodello.

The PhillyMint

Diecasm

Legal Disclaimer:

You must be 18 years old to post on our boards as per our registration requirement. All data posted on this site must be "Original and non defamatory". JSS is not responsible for the accuracy of any information which gets posted to our forums. Please view our Forum Guidelines before posting.

Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales.
Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales.
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 JSS Forums
 1:24th Die Cast Forum
 Your favorite 1961 is? (part 2)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Skylark

USA

Posted - 10/30/2022 :  03:48:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All convertibles for your enjoyment!

Imperial

Chrysler 300 G

Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz

Oldsmobile Starfire

Chevrolet Impala

Pontiac Bonneville

Buick LeSabre

Electra 225

Ford Galaxie Sunliner

I had a dealer promo car like this one (below) as a kid

Ford Thunderbird

Dodge Dart Phoenix

D-500

Mercury Monterey

Continental

special interior image for Doug Ford!
blackhawk collection

Plymouth Fury

Edited by - Skylark on 10/31/2022 17:38:29

Myron

USA

Posted - 10/30/2022 :  05:38:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some beautiful cars here. For me it’s the Starfire; one of my favorite automobiles.
Go to Top of Page

Gene

USA

Posted - 10/30/2022 :  07:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some sweet rides without a doubt. Still it's the Bonneville for me with the Caddy a close second.
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 10/30/2022 :  08:01:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I could go back, my "rational" brain wants the Mercury Monterey or the pastel yellow Buick. On the other hand, my lead foot wants the D-500!

The Thunderbirds would be out of my price range, but they are the beauties of the bunch to me.

This journey through 1961 has been a delight. Hope you like the group of photos, no matter what you pick as favorite.
I left out Plymouth before I took a moment for breakfast, I know! lol
If you came back, I just found one worth adding. Now it's a wrap!

Edited by - Skylark on 10/30/2022 08:37:07
Go to Top of Page

JCarnutz

USA

Posted - 10/30/2022 :  08:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW! A lot of fantastic cars offered in 1961 and a tough choice.
After a few moments of thought, the Imperial is my top choice, 2nd place-no clue, too many options.
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 10/30/2022 :  08:19:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2nd place ties are acceptable!
Go to Top of Page

Steve K

USA

Posted - 10/30/2022 :  08:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've got to be kidding! So many to choose from. Except for the Imperial, every car I came to I thought "OK, that's it". I pick Plymouth, Olds, Caddy, Pontiac, Chevy, Continental,
Buick, Tbird, Dart....OY! My brain hurts. Overall, '61 is my most favorite year followed by '56.
Go to Top of Page

Billy Collins

USA

Posted - 10/30/2022 :  09:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a fantastic gallery.
It's offical ... I CAN NOT DECIDE ON 'JUST' O-N-E!!
SORRY ... NO REFUNDS! LOL!
Go to Top of Page

tcam

USA

Posted - 10/30/2022 :  10:23:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Ford are my favorites.
Go to Top of Page

ElricRyan

USA

Posted - 10/30/2022 :  10:46:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lincoln Continental
Go to Top of Page

Mark S

USA

Posted - 10/30/2022 :  16:23:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Continental, Cadillac, Imperial
Go to Top of Page

Bob Nist

USA

Posted - 10/30/2022 :  21:37:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oldsmobile Starfire and Thunderbird.
Go to Top of Page

Tom Weinberg

USA

Posted - 10/31/2022 :  07:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nineteen sixty-one was a special year for me. It was the year I graduated from high school. I love all of the cars, but the Impala has a special place in my heart.
Go to Top of Page

LouBeau

USA

Posted - 10/31/2022 :  08:02:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd have to go with the Imperial - it's just so out there! Then the Lincoln.
Go to Top of Page

kosh2258

USA

Posted - 10/31/2022 :  15:04:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cadillac, Impala, Thunderbird, Lincoln in that order. If the Dodge had been a Polara, I'd have included that. Never cared for rear end of the lower models - especially when they grew the "warts" of the auxiliary taillights.
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 10/31/2022 :  17:17:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kosh2258

..... If the Dodge had been a Polara, I'd have included that. Never cared for rear end of the lower models - especially when they grew the "warts" of the auxiliary taillights.

Dodge Polara D-500

Actually, I didn't know D-500 came on more than one model. Here's one for you, with the different taillight arrangement.

Edited by - Skylark on 10/31/2022 17:18:51
Go to Top of Page

kosh2258

USA

Posted - 11/02/2022 :  15:46:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skylark

quote:

..... If the Dodge had been a Polara, I'd have included that. Never cared for rear end of the lower models - especially when they grew the "warts" of the auxiliary taillights.

Dodge Polara D-500

Actually, I didn't know D-500 came on more than one model. Here's one for you, with the different taillight arrangement.

As I recall, D-500 was a performance package rather than a model as such.

Thanks, for including it!

I've never heard a definitive explanation for the lower models growing the additional taillights.
One story was that the original taillights were too small and not visible enough, so the others were added mid-year. I've always wondered why they didn't add one or two additional backup light housings on each side, put red lenses in them, and wire them into the taillight circuit rather than add the two that looked like an afterthought.

Go to Top of Page

Takao

Japan

Posted - 11/02/2022 :  23:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oldsmobile Starfire. And Ford Thunderbird.
Go to Top of Page

Skylark

USA

Posted - 11/03/2022 :  15:00:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

As I recall, D-500 was a performance package rather than a model as such.

Thanks, for including it!

I've never heard a definitive explanation for the lower models growing the additional taillights.
One story was that the original taillights were too small and not visible enough, so the others were added mid-year.
I've always wondered why they didn't add one or two additional backup light housings on each side, put red lenses in them, and wire them into the taillight circuit rather than add the two that looked like an afterthought.

My take is it would have been for visual identification, Ted. The Darts and Polaras had different wheelbases, but on the dealer's lot they were pretty much the same in appearance otherwise, and customers need to see
something unique to convince them to move up in dollars to the Polara.
If I remember, there was a small difference in the front grilles, for same reason. Dealers probably complained about the two models being too similar from the rear.

Unique taillights helped the salesmen too, to go to the right car without looking for nameplates.

A related factor, DeSoto was discontinued in 1961 .... so Mopar was busy trying to cover the market segment they had held.
They had to scramble to use up parts they already had in the factory for the short-run of '61 DeSotos.
Probably, they wanted to make Dodge revisions without a major running change, and it was already a complicated changeover year in the factories.
Without money for new tooling for rear stampings that were already new for the shorter wheelbase Darts, they did that taillight revision as a quicker cheaper fix.

Edited by - Skylark on 11/03/2022 15:26:29
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Diecast Forums 1:24, 1:18, 1:43 scales. © 2000-23 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000